Tuesday 2 September 2008

Alex Amosu / Nigerian Dragon’s Den


Alex Amosu enters the Nigerian Dragon’s Den. London entrepreneur sits on panel of top African TV show
By Joel Campbell
SUCCESSFUL ENTREPRENEUR Alexander Amosu has predicted Dragon’s Den Nigeria will be a huge success when the show is aired next month.
Currently filming the first series of five, Amosu told The Voice that the interest being shown by budding entrepreneurs is overwhelming.
The businessman, who first came to prominence after launching Urban Ringtones, said he was glad to be involved in taking the popular programme to Africa and insisted he was chomping at the bit to support any business proposal which could go on to be a success.


He enthused: "Not in a negative way, but to some degree I am a bit worried about the exposure I will probably get. Everything so far has been great and I have made two investments which I'll speak more about when the show airs. Some of the presentations have been really good but I must say that some of them have been really bad as well."
The show is set to be shown across Africa at the end of August and it has been rumoured that BEN TV will be airing the show in the UK.
Amosu was originally approached to participate in the UK version of Dragon's Den but the timing of the show meant he was unable to take part. Having been impressed by his CV, when the concept of taking Dragon's Den to Africa arose, the show's producers approached Amosu to be a dragon on the show.
It was an opportunity Amosu says was too good to miss. He said: "Dragon's Den is owned by Sony and when they decided to do it in Nigeria they called me and said they wanted me to be involved and I agreed. It was a fantastic opportunity."
Amosu recently picked up an award for the London borough of Haringey's best entrepreneur of the year. The 29-year-old says he was shocked to win the accolade but his business exploits obviously impressed the judges.
Explaining how he came to be a successful enough to warrant a place on the Dragon's Den Nigeria panel, he said: "I was a bit surprised. I won the award .but it was nice to do so. I have been in business since I was twelve, doing different things but I think most people will know me for launching the first Urban Ringtones company at the age of 24. That company turned over £1.6m in the first year and in the four years of me having it, we turned over £6.3m. Then I sold it 2004 for a lot of money and I think people know me best for that. I have been labeled 'lord of the ringtones' and even the American press call me the Motown of ring tones because I was one of the first people to start that type of business”.


Amosu has strong views on what it takes to be a success and points to desire and a hard work ethic as key ingredients for anyone to possess if they want to achieve the best they can. One area of particular concern for Amosu is the lack of black businessmen and women who are doing well. The paucity of top performers is an area he feels his community must address.


He said: "We all can't be leaders and we all can't be followers but I do think there aren't enough black entrepreneurs in terms of people coming out and being very successful. In America you can reel names off the top of your head but over here you're struggling. Who is the Alan Sugar of the black community? There isn't one and that is what is frustrating and that is what I think we should create. There is one or two of us in the rich list but not enough of us doing anything that is dominant. So for me I am hoping some of the things I am doing will encourage more people to get involved in business, and hopefully we will get those names up there."

No comments: